How to Download eBooks onto a Kindle
Set Up Your Kindle
- You must register your Kindle before downloading. You may have already done this.
- To register, turn on your Kindle, press Menu, then select Settings, and choose “register.” Further help can be found here.
- Enter your Amazon.com user name and password (the same one associated with your Amazon account). Select “OK” to finish the registration.
iPad/iPhone users: Download the Kindle app to use your device like a regular Kindle e-reader. If you do not wish to use your device like a Kindle you may download the OverDrive Media Console app as well.
Using the OverDrive Media Console app:
To download, read, and transfer eBooks, you must create an adobe account. If you have not done this already: Go to, click the sign in button in the upper right hand corner. Select "Don't have an Adobe ID" -follow instructions.
You will also need your bar code (the number on your library card) and your PIN(should be the last 4 digits of your phone number, if not call or come in to reset your PIN)
Search and Download Kindle eBooks
Click here to go to the OverDrive website.
- Click the account button at the top of the page
- Select your home library and then type in the bar code found on your card in the "Library card number" box.
- Type in your library PIN(should be the last 4 digits of your phone number, call or come in to reset it) in the "PIN" box.
- Search the collection of eBooks. Click on the book.
- Books compatible with Kindle will say "Kindle Book" under available formats on the right hand side.
- If there are no available copies of a title you wish to check out, you can click on “place a hold” to reserve it.
- If your title is available, click on “Borrow”. This will take you to Bookshelf.
- Click on the Download drop down menu and select Kindle book and then Confirm & Download.
- You will then be directed to Amazon.com.
- Click GET LIBRARY BOOK (the yellow button on the right-hand side) and then sign in.
- The book will be delivered to your Kindle. You may need to click on the Kindle “Sync” button (looks like a refresh button) for the book to appear, or just turn the device off and on.
Note: An active WiFi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle. Instead of WiFi connection, you may choose to load a book via USB. To transfer using your USB: Choose the Download option on the Amazon page where your book appears. A box will appear, where you will choose to Save the download. On your computer, go to Computer, then the Download file found under Favorites. Find your book title, and click and drag it to Kindle Documents.
To Return a Kindle eBook Early
- Go to www.amazon.com and sign in to your Amazon account.
- Go to the "Your account" drop down menu near the top, select "Manage Your Kindle"
- Next to the book title (“digital library” will follow title) you want to return, select the Action dropdown menu, and choose “Return this book,” and then “Delete from library,” after book is returned.
- To remove the book from your Kindle device, click the arrow to the left of the title just returned and then click “remove from device.”